The MeCCSA AGM will be held during the Annual Conference at LSE, which takes place from Wednesday the 6th – Friday the 8th of January 2010. The purpose of this notice is to invite nominations for election to the Executive Committee. The ballot papers will be sent out 28 days ahead of the AGM. To meet that deadline could nominations please be sent to Sandra Harris (see item 4 below) by November 20th, 2009 at the latest. They must be with her no later than last post on that date.
1. There is no pro-forma. Nominations should simply state clearly who is nominated. The constitution makes no stipulation as to seconding for nominations.
2. Self-nomination is permissible.
3. Nominations must be accompanied by a simple, brief, and factual c.v. of no more than 150 words. Please also provide full contact information.
4. Nominations must be typed, signed and sent by post, to: Sandra Harris, The British Sociological Association, Bailey Suite, Palatine House, Belmont Business Park, Durham DH1 1TW. Please mark envelopes ‘MeCCSA Ballot’.
5. Nominees must be members in good standing of MeCCSA, i.e. individual members of the Association or members of Departments or Units which hold institutional membership. If you have paid your subscription for the 2009-10 membership year
(September 1 – August 31), thank you. If you have not yet paid and wish
to remain a member, please follow the instructions on your renewal
letter to submit payment. If you have questions about your membership
status or need to have an invoice re-issued, please contact Sandra
Harris at the BSA (firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)191-383-0839).
6. The Constitution stipulates that “Between Annual General Meetings of the Association, its powers shall be exercised on its behalf by an Executive Committee which shall consist of nineteen Committee Members and the elected chairs of sections…. The elected Committee shall itself elect from among its members four Officers: Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer. …At least half of the Executive Committee Members shall submit themselves for annual election by the members of the Association through a postal/electronic ballot. The Executive Committee shall determine how the seats for election are selected, provided that no member of the Executive Committee shall sit for more than two years without standing for re-election”
7. The Committee members in 2009 (including co-optees) are as follows. Those who were elected at the last AGM are indicated by an asterisk. They stand for two years and will continue to a second term in 2010 if they so wish.
Peter Golding *
Anita Biressi *
Janey Gordon *
Mark Jancovich *
Jason Lee * (Practice Section Chair)
Máire Messenger-Davies *
Tim O’Sullivan *
Sue Thornham *